Tuesday, November 6, 2018

The Shema Yisrael - Part 6

                                      "וּכְתַבְתָּ֛ם עַל־מְזוּזֹ֥ת בֵּיתֶ֖ךָ וּבִשְׁעָרֶֽיךָ"

"Ukh'tav'tam al m'zuzot beitekha uvish'arekha"

"And write them on the door-frames of your house and on your gates." (Deuteronomy 6:9, CJB)

In verse 9 of the Shema, Moses instructs the Jews to put the commandments on their door frames and gates. This is done with the mezuzah. A mezuzah (pl. "mezuzot" ) is a small scroll with the Shema written on it. It is inside a small compartment that attaches to the door frame.  

This is a Messianic mezuzah. It has the Messianic Roots symbol - the menorah, the Star of David, and the Ichthus. 



When Jews enter their homes, or the homes of other Jews, they kiss their fingers, then touch the mezuzah, to show their reverence for God's commandments. The mezuzah is another reminder for the Jews that they are to constantly be thinking about God's commandments. We also should be constantly thinking about God's commands. Our obedience to God does not save us. We are obedient because of our salvation. 

John 14:15 (CJB) says: 

"If you love me, you will keep my commands."

What are God's commands for us? 

John 15:9-12, 17 (CJB) says

"9 Just as my Father has loved me, I too have loved you; so stay in my love. 10 If you keep my commands, you will stay in my love - just as I have kept my Father's commands and stay in His love. 11 I have said this to you so that my joy may be in you, and your joy be complete. 12 This is my command: that you keep on loving each other just as I have loved you...17 This is what I command you: keep loving each other!" 

The Jews literally put God's commands on their door frames. We are to put His commands on the "door frames" of our hearts. They should be the focus of our lives. We study the Scriptures, then put them into action. 







No comments:

Post a Comment